Hello and welcome to another round of Snaps from the WooCommerce Store Editing team! 🎇
Every couple of weeks, we give an update on all the work being done on WooCommerce Blocks from behind the scenes.
Let’s take a look at some highlights of what we’ve done since our last update.
Note that the linked
#numbers that accompany each item below point to the relevant issues and pull requests on the GitHub repository.
What We’re Working On 🚧
We’ve worked on a number of things in the last two weeks but here are some specific items we want to highlight.
Product Collection Block (#9264)
This project aims to create a Product Collection block that mirrors the functionality of the Products (Beta) block. The key difference with this block is that it will be built as a standalone/forked block, and not as a variation of the Query Loop block. This will offer us greater flexibility for customization and a better overall user experience for our merchants.
The work here will build the foundation to cover the current Products block functionalities, make improvements to the Inspector Controls, and implement a set of basic patterns for a new block.
Add Inherit query from template control (#9485)
Similar to Products (Beta) block, Product Collection allows you to inherit the template query when added to one of the archive templates. But you can also disable that option and configure the Product Collection block to your needs.
Speaking of configuration, we’re adding more and more filters to Product Collection block to make it even more flexible than Products (Beta) block.
Handpicked Products filter (#9733)
We implemented a Handpicked Product filter. Thanks to that, you can choose specific products you’d like to display in your store. It can be combined with other filters as well.
Product Collection is still in the experimental phase, but we’re getting closer to making it available to use.
In an ongoing effort to improve our existing blocks, we’ve continued to focus on additional updates to our Mini-Cart block.
Mini-Cart: Add an alternative icon setting (#9570)
We implemented one of the most-requested features for the Mini-Cart block since it was released: supporting alternative icons. Now, users will be able to select from a cart or two models of a bag for the icon.
Mini-Cart: Add Price, Icon and Product Count color settings (#9647)
We updated the color settings in the Mini-Cart editor sidebar so each part of the Mini-Cart icon has a specific color-chooser.
We made several other improvements to the Mini-Cart:
- Fixed how the icon was rendered in the Customizer (it was blurry until now) #9828
- Updated the styles to ensure no horizontal scrollbar is shown, that could happen in browsers that had visible scrollbars #9676
- We improved how Mini-Cart script dependencies are enqueued to prevent issues with other plugins #9749
WooCommerce Blocks Releases ✨
- 10.4.0 – Many of the changes noted in this post are included in the 10.4.0 release of the WooCommerce Blocks feature plugin from June 9th. You can find the full details in the release notes.
- 10.4.2 – These are fix releases that include bug fixes and enhancements for WC Blocks.
Other Notable PRs / Issues ✅
- Apply Additional Optimization to Pattern Images (#9803)
- Enable Single Product block (#9714)
- WooCommerce Classic Template block: Fix error on clearing customizations on Woo Templates (#9759)
- Product rating: improve preview style when the product doesn’t have rating (#9684)
Thanks for following along with us – until next time! 👋