On April 19th, 2023, WooCommerce is hosting a virtual Contributor Day! We’re inviting the Woo community to join our internal engineering teams for a full day of contributions to the WooCommerce Core and WooCommerce Blocks repos.
The event is open to all and will be spanning 24 hours across all time zones. We will have two kick off times to accommodate different time zones:
Before Contributor Day
Make sure your environment is set up with the right tools for development.
WooCommerce Core: Getting Started Guide
WooCommerce Blocks: Getting Started Guide
Before the day of the event, take a look at the open issues from the groups below and start thinking about which subject area you’re interested in working on:
Join the Woo Community Slack
If you aren’t already a member, join the WooCommerce Community Slack. All contributors who plan to participate in the event should join the following Slack Channels:
- We will be using this channel to kick off the event and announce important information throughout the day.
- This channel is for generally chatting and getting to know other contributors.
- This channel is available for any questions about environment issues as you set up your workspace.
Once you’ve chosen a topic area, we encourage you to join that specific channel before the start of the event:
- This group will be focused on issues that pertain to the checkout area of WooCommerce.
- This group will be focused on issues that pertain to the new block based checkout experience for WooCommerce.
- This group will be focused on issues that are largely related to styling so it will involve mostly HTML and CSS.
- This group will be focused on issues that are related to the ongoing management of WooCommerce stores.
- This group will be focused on issues that are related to any of our WooCommerce blocks outside the cart and checkout blocks.
- This group will be focused on issues that are entirely related to accessibility and internationalization for WooCommerce.
- This group will be focused on issues that are related to performance and testing.
Review the Code of Conduct
In the interest of fostering an open and welcoming environment, we pledge to make participation in WooCommerce and our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, disability, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, level of experience, nationality, personal appearance, race, religion, or sexual identity and orientation. Please make sure to review the WooCommerce Code of Conduct before the event.
Share the love
Know someone who would love to join and contribute? They’re invited!
On Contributor Day
On the day of the event, we’ll have two short kickoff sessions in the #woo-contributor-day__general channel. Once the kick-off concludes, you will head over to your subject area-specific Slack channel next steps.
Each Slack channel will have dedicated Automatticians to answer questions and provide support throughout the day. All the issues selected for this event are meant to be solved within a day. We ask that contributors commit to a minimum of 4 hours in order to make the most of the event.
We will end Contributor Day at 24 UTC with some closing remarks in the #woo-contributor-day__general channel.
After Contributor Day
We are committed to honoring the time that the community is dedicating to the event, which is why we will be making a concerted effort to ensure that each group’s queue of issues that have open PRs are completed and merged prior to the upcoming release, WC 7.8, which is scheduled for June 13th, 2023.