The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is in effect, granting EU residents increased rights over their personal data. Developers must ensure that WooCommerce extensions are compliant with these regulations.
Data Sharing and Collection
Third-Party Data Sharing
- Assess and document any third-party data sharing.
- Obtain and manage user consent for data sharing.
- Link to third-party privacy policies in your plugin settings.
- List the personal data your plugin collects.
- Secure consent for data collection and manage user preferences.
- Safeguard data storage and restrict access to authorized personnel.
Data Access and Storage
Accessing Personal Data
- Specify what personal data your plugin accesses from WooCommerce orders.
- Justify the necessity for accessing each type of data.
- Control access to personal data based on user roles and permissions.
Storing Personal Data
- Explain your data storage mechanisms and locations.
- Apply encryption to protect stored personal data.
- Perform regular security audits.
Personal Data Handling
Data Exporter and Erasure Hooks
- Integrate data exporter and erasure hooks to comply with user requests.
- Create a user-friendly interface for data management requests.
Refusal of Data Erasure
- Define clear protocols for instances where data erasure is refused.
- Communicate these protocols transparently to users.
Frontend and Backend Data Exposure
Data on the Frontend
- Minimize personal data displayed on the site’s frontend.
- Provide configurable settings for data visibility based on user status.
Data in REST API Endpoints
- Ensure REST API endpoints are secure and disclose personal data only as necessary.
- Establish clear permissions for accessing personal data via the API.
Privacy Documentation and Data Management
- Include browser storage methods and third-party data sharing in your documentation.
- Implement data cleanup protocols for plugin uninstallation and deletion of orders/users.
- Automate personal data removal processes where appropriate.
- Keep a record of GDPR compliance measures and make them accessible to users.
Last updated: January 18, 2024